Thursday, December 12, 2013

Solo 401k sole proprietorship contribution question




http://www.mysolo401k.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-is-solo-401k-commonly-called.html

QUESTION 1: I have a couple of questions regarding the solo 401k. Should I contribute to the 401k directly from my sole-proprietorship as an expense or as owner earnings - or do I pay myself from the business account as owner earnings and then contribute from my personal account?  

ANSWER: Contributions to a solo 401k are based on earned income. When the employer is a sole proprietorship, the earned income will be based on line 31 of schedule C. This is the starting figure. You then have to subtract 1/2 of self-employment tax. Our solo 401k on-line calculator will perform this calculation for you. You then make the sol401k contribution from the business account or your personal bank account as long as it is calculated as stated above.

QUESTION 2: Also, are any of the related expenses for the solo401k considered a business expense and be paid by the business or are they all my personal responsibility?

ANSWER: Solo 401k expenses do not qualify as a business expense. Click here to learn more.

All the best,

Sarah in Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment