Sunday, October 6, 2013

Contribute to KEOGH and Solo 401k Roth





BACKGROUND: Until year 2012 I had a long-standing Keogh account, but closed it in December of 2012.

March 2013 I contributed $20,000 to my solo 401k (Roth) checkbook control account with Fidelity (which you helped me set up). Same month I invested that money in a fund.

QUESTION: I believe that because of my Keogh account I am not allowed to apply that contribution to year 2012, but instead must apply it to year 2013. Is this correct?

ANSWER: First, I’m not sure how you will be able to deposit funds into an account that has already been closed.  

Assuming the KEOGH has not yet been closed, did you maximize your 2012 employee contribution amount of $17,000 to the KEOGH? If not, you can apply it as Roth Solo 401k contribution. Further, if you are aged 50 or older, you can apply the $5,500 catchup amount to the Roth Solo 401k as well, assuming you did not apply it to the KEOGH already. As you can see the key is not exceed the annual contributions between all qualified plans combined. See IRS Publication 560 for more information regarding contributing to multiple retirement plans.

Thank you for your assistance,

Max in Iowa

No comments:

Post a Comment