Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Use Your Self-Directed 401k Services | IRA LLC



BACKGROUND: I do want to use your services to roll over my  95 k past employer 401 K account to a self-directed 401k with funds held in a Etrade brokerage account. I had an account with them years ago so I am somewhat familiar with their tool/site etcetera. If you feel there is a better brokerage firm to use, please let me know.

ANSWER: While E-Trade’s brokerage account services can be utilized for the self-directed 401k brokerage account with checkbook feature, I prefer Fidelity as they understand the process really well and make it easy to access the funds, especially if you want to process a solo 401k loan and or invest in alternative investments such as real estate. Simply put, Fidelity has less red tape than E-Trade.

BACKGROUND: In our phone call last week I mentioned the 6,800 Roth held in a state farm annuity composed on $45,800 contributions, $1000 earnings.  Outside of you guys I was thinking of moving to a separate E*TRADE self-directed account…does that seem possible, and do you think there are any conflicts of having the solo 401 k account and the Roth account held that the same broker?  

ANSWER: Assuming you are talking about a Roth IRA, if you are only seeking to invest in stocks and mutual funds, then E-Trade can handle the Roth IRA opening directly. On the other hand, if you want to invest the Roth IRA in alternative investments such as real estate, promissory notes, tax liens and private stock, to name a few, then E-Trade will not be able to support the brokerage account. Instead, you may want to consider opening a self-directed IRA LLC, which we can assist you with. 

I would like to setup the solo 401 k first.

Let me know the next step, your suggestions are appreciated.

ANSWER: To get started with opening solo 401k click here, and, as always, if you have any questions, please give us a call including on Saturdays.


Thanks,
Roger in ID

No comments:

Post a Comment