Sunday, January 27, 2013

Transfer IRA Real Estate to Solo 401k | IRA Custodian



QUESTION: Do you have a form that would act as a transfer request
(i.e., form to transfer an IRA to a solo 401K)?

Background:  My first real-estate property purchase looks like it will close in the next two weeks.  I purchased it through a custodian American Estates & Trust, LC  FBO: my  IRA

This IRA account was set up prior to my decision to open a self-directed solo 401k plan in order to acquire the property located in Arizona back in November.

This was a very laborious  as each move required either  a DOI letter   or   ADI Letter  delaying doc  transferring   48 hours  + and fees,  so my plan is  once the property closes  to transfer this AZ real estate  asset  into my  solo 401k plan set up through you. I am anticipating a push back from the current trust company, AE&T, so perhaps with a transfer form from your company it will make transfer of my IRA to my solo 401K a smoother process?

Thanks, PW from Texas

ANSWER: As a solo 401k provider, the preparation of IRA transfer forms is included in our solo 401k pricing; therefore, I will e-mail a transfer form to you shortly.  Because the IRA transfer rules allow for the transfer of assets such as real estate in-kind to a solo 401k, your current self-directed IRA custodian should have no problem processing your IRA direct rollover request to a Solo 401k. Just make sure that they follow the instructions contained on the transfer form that specifically detail the IRA owned real estate is to be transferred in-kind in the name of your solo 401k.  This is very important as registering the IRA owned real estate in your name could cause negative tax consequences if not deposited (re-registered in the name of your solo 401k) within 60 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment