Thursday, October 4, 2012

Solo 401k Life Insurance and Loan Question


My Self-Directed 401k is getting ready to be funded into my Wells Fargo Solo 401k Checkbook control bank’s account. I wanted to know what the process was to use this money. I know I am able to use it to buy investments; I can invest in a company; I can take a personal Solo 401k loan; and I can lend it to someone.

QUESTION 1: Can I also use my Solo 401k to purchase life insurance for myself, and what about health insurance?

ANSWER: The 401k rules do not permit Solo 401k to invest in health insurance. However, the Solo 401k rules permit  Solo 401k to invest in Life Insurance but certain restrictions apply.  Please  click on Invest Solo 401k in Life Insurance to learn about the restrictions and the process.

QUESTION 2: I know I would have to keep good records and receipts on what I use My Self-Directed 401k for. What about a Solo 401k loan? Do I get the Solo 401k Loan paperwork from my Solo 401k provider or from the bank?

ANSWER: Wells Fargo only involvement with your self-directed 401k is to offer a bank account since you opened Solo 401k with a Solo 401k provider whose Solo 401k documents name you as trustee and allow for investing in alternative investments; hence why it’s referred to as Self-Directed 401k. All other matters (investment decisions, administration of the loan, safekeeping of the alternative investments, etc) are handled by you as Trustee of the Solo 401k.
To take a loan (Solo 401k participant loan) from your Solo 401k, the Solo 401k provider will need to prepare the loan documents after you provide the Solo 401k provider the loan specifics (amount, payment period, loan date).

Thank you for your help.


Sincerely,
Y M

No comments:

Post a Comment